Dr V Keith Jiminez
What’s a keloid scar
A keloid (say “KEE-loyd”) is a scar that grows larger and wider than the unique damage. Keloids most commonly develop on the breastbone, shoulder, upper chest and back, earlobes, and face.
Keloids don’t grow to be cancer. But they are often bothersome or painful sufficient that you simply seek therapy. Keloids usually develop back after treatment.
It’s attainable to forestall a keloid from forming if you’re taking steps to guard the skin after it’s damaged.
What causes a keloid
Keloids can type where the skin is damaged, comparable to by a surgical procedure minimize, a piercing, a burn, chickenpox, or acne. Thick tissue grows up and out from the healing space, making the scar bigger than the unique damage. For some folks, even a scratch can lead to keloids.
Keloids do run in households, any 5 petroleum products and so they not often develop in light-coloured pores and skin. Experts assume that keloids may be linked to a gene that is linked to darkish skin pigment.
What are the symptoms
Keloids appear to be firm, raised, exhausting scars. They develop bigger over time. Their colors vary from barely pink to very darkish.
Keloids can rub towards your clothes and develop into irritated, itchy, or painful. When exposed to the sun, they could flip darker than the rest of your skin. The darkish shade could stay.
How is it handled
There isn’t a positive cure for keloids, however therapy typically improves how they feel and look. It is common for keloids to grow back after therapy.
When attempting to deal with a keloid, your physician may need to use a couple of kind of remedy. Primarily based on a keloid’s dimension and site, and how quickly it is handled, your physician could:
– Freeze it. This known as cryotherapy. It’s best used for small keloids, equivalent to from acne. Cryotherapy can lighten the skin.
– Inject it with drugs.- A corticosteroid is the mostly used drugs for decreasing keloids. It’s most prone to work properly with cryotherapy or right after surgery.
– Other medicines could enhance keloids. These embody verapamil, fluorouracil, bleomycin, and interferon alfa-2b photographs. They aren’t as nicely studied as corticosteroid photographs, but your doctor may recommend attempting one. They’re most likely to work when used with one other remedy.
– Cowl the realm with a silicone gel bandage after surgical procedure. You should purchase these at most drugstores. Keep the silicone bandage on the pores and skin for 12 to 24 hours a day for 2 to six months. Your doctor will tell you when you may cease treatment.
– Keep stress on it with a wrap or bandage.
Radiation tends to be reserved as a last choice for treating keloids. There’s a chance that it may cause cancer.
Your medical insurance may cover some keloid remedies, however not others. Your remedy also will not be covered if the insurance coverage company thinks it’s being carried out only to enhance how the scar appears to be like (cosmetic causes).
How can you stop keloids
For those any 5 petroleum products who tend to get keloids, it is best to avoid body piercings, tattoos, or any surgery you do not need. Keloids can develop after these procedures.
To stop keloids after a minor skin damage, start treating it immediately. This will assist it heal faster and with less scarring. Utilizing the next tricks to treat the world may assist prevent keloid development.
Cowl a brand new wound with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, akin to Vaseline, and a nonstick bandage. Hold the bandage in place with tape so that there’s even pressure on the wound. Wash the area with cleaning soap and water every day.
After a wound is healed over, use a silicone gel bandage. Keep even stress on the realm. This may increasingly stop keloid progress. Keep the bandage on the pores and skin for 12 to 24 hours a day for 2 to three months. (It takes three months for a keloid to grow).
– After ear piercing, use stress earrings. These are also called Zimmer splints.